The Esper AMA on Reddit has ended and if you missed out you can get a better understanding below. To make sense of the AMA I'll be combing through the Reddit page and posting questions along with their answers from Carbine. It's a long post, but it's definitely worth a read if you are interested in the Esper class or just WildStar in general. Enjoy!
Also, we'd like to give a shout-out to our Curse.com Wiki team, they managed to snap up official status for our Titanfall Wiki! Way to go guys!
darkthunder84 - Most of my questions will be more role-specific, rather than limited to Espers, but here goes:
1. How will Healing function in WildStar? Targeted healing, skill-shot telegraph based etc?
2. Which classes will be able to revive (in/out of combat) ?
3. What sort of death penalty are you guys looking at?
4. Will Espers have a "Stance" based system as well, but for DPS / Healer role switching?
5. What types of Utility will Espers have, besides crowd control? I'm thinking Purge/Cleanse mechanics.
6. How mobile will Espers (with their Light Armor) be? I'd imagine them to be rather squishy.
Thank you for hosting this AMA. Looking forward to getting my hands on WildStar during beta/at launch :)
Quote from CRB_Hugh
1. You’ll find a mixture of all of those things, and players will be able to tailor their Action Set to their preferences. Say you like free form heals? Put a couple on your bar and tier them up with the ability tiering system!
2. All classes are able to revive while out of combat. We don’t currently have plans for a combat res.
3. That’s out of my department ;D.
4. Espers do not currently have a stance system, we don’t currently have a need for it. The reason it was required for Tanks was that they needed a way to switch between higher mitigation/higher threat and higher damage/lower threat.
5. Espers have access to a Cleanse, and they have a number of buffs and debuffs that are tied to their abilities.
6. This will depend on your Action Set. If you want to be fully mobile, you can, you’ll just have to give up some of the bigger nukes/heals that the Esper has access to.
Leiloni - RE: Number 1 - Are free form/skill shot heals going to be more effective and better overall than standard targeted (tab targeting style) heals? Or will a player be able to find success endgame with an LAS focused more on targeted heals? How will you balance the existence of targeted skills in a game with almost entirely freeform combat?
Quote from CRB_Hugh
We are balancing all abilities based on their ease of use, and targeted abilities are obliviously easier to land then skillshots. As we move forward and balance things, my hope is that all heal types will be viable.