Flying Mounts

Some of you have expressed curiosity and/or concern about flying mounts in Wildstar.

I found this year-old interview with Jeremy Gaffney, Executive Producer for Wildstar that says "Yes! the world is built for flight and Wildstar will provide flying mounts." He also mentions that these flying mounts will have some sort of powers. I'll let you read the interview yourselves: 

http://www.mmo-game.eu/wildstar-q-and-a-session-with-jeremy-gaffney/#vehicle

However, the interview IS a year old. Games in development have the particular characteristic that they are IN DEVELOPMENT. This means that things may and do change and decisions could have been made to deviate from flying mounts. If anyone has any, more recent sources that talk about flying mounts post them here. Thanks in advance.

One of the DevSpeak videos showed people taking off in flying vehicles. That's about all I have seen on or about them recently though.

Fun Fact: Pie with frosting is called super pie and will either solve all the problems in the world or end humanity in a hyperglycemic blaze of glory.

It takes a significant amount of time and resource to optimize the entire landscape for flight, I couldn't foresee them throwing out all that work for no reason.  Not to mention that flying mounts are pretty much unanimously in favor by all players. I wouldn't worry.

The only people that seem to hate flying mounts are gankers or hardcore world pvp enthusiasts.

Fun Fact: Pie with frosting is called super pie and will either solve all the problems in the world or end humanity in a hyperglycemic blaze of glory.

Quote from Slywyn »

The only people that seem to hate flying mounts are gankers or hardcore world pvp enthusiasts.

Some of them; I think it's nice to gank from your flying mount. Just feels like hunting... you see your prey and decend and... well you can imagine the rest :D

Last edited by Etherealwolf9: 8/1/2013 8:11:02 AM

Flying mounts also ruin a lot of exploration, and make the world seem smaller and less populated. It's no deal breaker for me but I was hoping flying mounts wouldn't be included fully in the game.

Quote from Revanarx3 »

Flying mounts also ruin a lot of exploration, and make the world seem smaller and less populated. It's no deal breaker for me but I was hoping flying mounts wouldn't be included fully in the game.

Indeed. Being able to fly means that you won't walk, and if you don't walk you won't be seen or see other players as much. Other than that, I'm fine with it.

I kind of feel like the Explorer path will also be undermined by flying mounts.

Quote from Revanarx3 »

I kind of feel like the Explorer path will also be undermined by flying mounts.

This is what worries me the most. However, I doubt they will implement flying mounts in a way that negatively affects one of their signature features.

Not sure flying mounts fits whats been said before with exploring.  Might have to have loading and unloading zones within the world or something so you just dont fly to the exploring missions and your done.

Quote from Nightrun »

Not sure flying mounts fits whats been said before with exploring.  Might have to have loading and unloading zones within the world or something so you just dont fly to the exploring missions and your done.

Maybe its tied to the progression. Maybe once you reach the level you can use flying mounts, Explorer missions will make use of them.

Quote from Slywyn »

This seems to be the truth of the matter, and the hell of it is they are full of BS.  I remember playing WoW without a flying mount, and it wasn't that hard to get away from people trying to kill you.  I chased a many of people back to their base trying to kill them, and failed. 

The only valid reason to not allow flying mounts is the explorer path.  It totally screws it up.  The best idea I have heard thus far to fix it is to set a low max altitude for flying mounts.

Personally, I think flying mounts won't really hurt the explorer path if done right.  What I mean by right is like Vanilla WoW.  To get an epic mount you had to be level 60, and it cost a 1000g, which at the time was an shitload!  On average it took months to farm enough gold to get that flying mount!  Now replace epic mount with flying mount, then we have no issues with the explorer path imo.   By the time it takes most people to get the flying mount they will have long sense grown tired of climbing trees, and their explorer path will be maxed.   Also, there are still tons of things to explore underground and in dungeons/raids.

Quote from Nightrun »

Flying mounts were once confirmed, but not now.

Last edited by mysticjbyrd: 8/1/2013 6:03:43 PM

If my memory does not fail me, during a Dev interview the person said Carbine doesn't plan on adding flying mounts. At least not for now.

“Wise words are like arrows flung at your forehead. What do you do? Why, you duck of course.”
    ― Steven Erikson, House of Chains

They were confirmed before, and it's been mentioned the gameworld is designed with flying in mind.

If we don't see flying at release I very much imagine it will be added at some point.

I see them doing something with flying mounts, but they will put ALOT of thought in to it before they release them in to the game.  I dont care if you like flying mounts or not, they have had a negative affect in WoW that i feel out weighs their benefits.  

I can also see them designing a game were you dont feel the need to have flying mounts because other FUN ways of traveling are implemented.  Maybe trains, or utilize the Settler path in a cool fun way.  I just think Carbine is more creative than just adding flying mounts in because people think they are cool in WoW and cry for them.

Flying mounts allow for much more variance and creativity in questing zones than not flying does.

Quote from Otiveht »

I see them doing something with flying mounts, but they will put ALOT of thought in to it before they release them in to the game.  I dont care if you like flying mounts or not, they have had a negative affect in WoW that i feel out weighs their benefits.  

I can also see them designing a game were you dont feel the need to have flying mounts because other FUN ways of traveling are implemented.  Maybe trains, or utilize the Settler path in a cool fun way.  I just think Carbine is more creative than just adding flying mounts in because people think they are cool in WoW and cry for them.

Trains would be such a great idea. Instead of going with flight paths, go with train paths - big trains with many carriages would constantly run between major cities/locations. On the plus side, it would promote the social aspect of the game, with everyone getting together to go for a train trip; the negative side would be having to wait for the said train to arrive to where you are (although this could be fixed by adding a mercenary that would lend you a motorcycle for a generous tip, in case you don't want to wait). Trains could also have certain buildings (like a crafting table or a bar with certain mini games) that would keep you entertained for the duration of the trip.

I really prefer a more ground-to-ground experience. It makes the world feel lively.

I have a bit of a love affair with trains, but I would absolutely love if they did include a slower method of transport. Either for RP purposes, immersion purposes, or maybe just for people who like to get out and actually see the world rather than be ferried quickly from one place to the next.

I would be a full supporter of something like trains, but not at the expense of other methods of transport.

Like in the upcoming world of darkness, where there are trains from say: NY to London,that only leave at certain hours of the day?

“Wise words are like arrows flung at your forehead. What do you do? Why, you duck of course.”
    ― Steven Erikson, House of Chains

Just something that you could ride or hold an event on. Something to actually give us a real frame of reference of how large the world is and how long it takes to get from place to place.

• To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes