Poll: Payment Plans

Payment Plans - Multiple Choice

• Monthly (15$) 70% of Users - 21 votes
  • Monthly per toon (5$) 13.3% of Users - 4 votes
  • Buy to Play 36.7% of Users - 11 votes
  • Free to play 6.7% of Users - 2 votes
  • other 0% of Users - 0 votes

This poll has ended as of 6/27/2013 5:00:00 PM

True and that is annoying.  I agree with what Slywyn said about limiting chat functionality for F2P accounts.  That would probably be the best case scenario.  Ehh.  I disagree with you about quality of communities.  WoW has never been F2P and the community is horrible.  I think it really comes down to good community leaders whether the game is P2P, F2P, or whatever model is in place.  UO had a pretty mixed community back in the day.  I don't think business model negatively impacts a community.  I think stupid people impact communities negatively.

Who are you replying to? O.o

Fun Fact: Pie with frosting is called super pie and will either solve all the problems in the world or end humanity in a hyperglycemic blaze of glory.

First post (on the previous page), you.  The second reply was to jsa...whatever the rest of the name is.  I probably should have used 'quote'.

Oh, heh. You posted twice and like five minutes apart so it looked like you replied to someone who had vanished their post, so I was like 'wha'

Fun Fact: Pie with frosting is called super pie and will either solve all the problems in the world or end humanity in a hyperglycemic blaze of glory.

Quote from TheVans »

True and that is annoying.  I agree with what Slywyn said about limiting chat functionality for F2P accounts.  That would probably be the best case scenario.  Ehh.  I disagree with you about quality of communities.  WoW has never been F2P and the community is horrible.  I think it really comes down to good community leaders whether the game is P2P, F2P, or whatever model is in place.  UO had a pretty mixed community back in the day.  I don't think business model negatively impacts a community.  I think stupid people impact communities negatively.

Compare WoW's community to LoL's community.  Point well made.

I would even go as far as saying that FFXI's community is much better than Maplestory's or Runescape's.

F2P does affect communities.  You get banned for harassing/spamming/trolling/etc?  Create a new free account!  Cost you nothing anyways ! :P

Hardly come across gold sellers, bots, and people who create accounts to harass others in subscription games.  I know they still exist, but if you've played a F2P game seriously, you would know that they're everywhere at all times.  It hurts the community as a whole when general/global chat is a P2W and gold-selling spam, and when bots are everywhere farming everything.

Last edited by Jsa0603: 7/22/2013 12:56:15 AM

Actually WoW's community has to be the worst I've ever encountered in like 12 years of online gaming.

Quote from Slywyn »

Actually WoW's community has to be the worst I've ever encountered in like 12 years of online gaming.

You never played LoL, I can tell.  Or have never taken a F2P game currently out in the market serious.

Last edited by Jsa0603: 7/22/2013 12:59:25 AM

wow community is horrible comparable to what?

i played other mmos and the community is basically the same. WoW community in Vanila was way better than nowdays, because back then, there was no crossserver shit, no name change, no realm transfer.... you had a reputation not many were willing to risk by just being an asshole.

If you compare it to mobas it gets worse, mobas have the worst communities i ever saw in my life.

No I've never played LoL. But I did say the worst community I've encountered. =p

Quote from Kai »

i played other mmos and the community is basically the same. WoW community in Vanila was way better than nowdays, because back then, there was no crossserver shit, no name change, no realm transfer.... you had a reputation not many were willing to risk by just being an asshole.

If you compare it to mobas it gets worse, mobas have the worst communities i ever saw in my life.

Without a doubt WoW's community has downgraded massively, but as a whole, subscription communities are generally better than F2P communities.  From not having to deal with as many gold farmers/botters to better customer support.

I played Mabinogi pretty serious a few years back and it was a blast.  it just sucked when people were trying to sell gold everywhere and when I couldn't interact with most of the people farming shit because they were all afk botters.

Subscription or box sales tend to weed out a lot of these unwanted people that are nothing but a negative side-effect to others playing the game.  They hurt both community and gaming experience.

Last edited by Jsa0603: 7/22/2013 1:04:31 AM

Quote from Kai »

Reminds me of what Athene was saying, yes I know a lot of people hate him but he is honestly doing some good in the world. He said he was flagged once which he said was justified, but the second time, he didn't even do anything and had the text provided. Not that he couldn't lie, but it's clear that people do whatever they want. It's this generation. All of them think they are a bunch of hard asses that can get away with anything they want to without getting in trouble. There are some people who are an acception, but most people nowadays say whatever they want and expect to get away with it, which in turn creates a shit ton of assholes.

Quote from Jsa0603 »

Quote from Kai »

Without a doubt WoW's community has downgraded massively, but as a whole, subscription communities are generally better than F2P communities.  From not having to deal with as many gold farmers/botters to better customer support.

I played Mabinogi pretty serious a few years back and it was a blast.  it just sucked when people were trying to sell gold everywhere and when I couldn't interact with most of the people farming shit because they were all afk botters.

Just hope this game doesn't turn into the next "Runescape" with bots, not that I've played it in years. A friend of mine was telling me they don't even ban bots anymore.

Quote from ISmokePotatoes »

Quote from Kai »

Reminds me of what Athene was saying, yes I know a lot of people hate him but he is honestly doing some good in the world. He said he was flagged once which he said was justified, but the second time, he didn't even do anything and had the text provided. Not that he couldn't lie, but it's clear that people do whatever they want. It's this generation. All of them think they are a bunch of hard asses that can get away with anything they want to without getting in trouble. There are some people who are an acception, but most people nowadays say whatever they want and expect to get away with it, which in turn creates a shit ton of assholes.

Yeah, makes sense.

The best gaming communities ive been part were in the 90s. If i have to pick one as the best, that would be Age of Empires 2: Age of Kings, back in 1996? dont really remember. but its around that.

Quote from Jsa0603 »

Subscription or box sales tend to weed out a lot of these unwanted people that are nothing but a negative side-effect to others playing the game.  They hurt both community and gaming experience.

for sure.

Quote from Kai »

This is a good read.

http://www.gameskinny.com/5su9f/rationalizing-ffxiv-a-realm-reborns-subscription-model

I completely disagree with that.  Why is Subscription model foolish?  What is this based on?  MMOs that failed to sustain this model?  Ha, that is an obviously flawed view.  Those games likely made way more money by launching with a sub model, than if they hadn't.  They didn't endure, because they were flawed.  I can assure you it ha nothing to do with the fact it cost pennies an hour to play.

WoW is not WoW!  WoW is merely a good game, and it demonstrates what a MMO is capable of in this market.  I am a  little sick and tired of these people on the internet pretending that Blizzard got lucky with WoW.  These people are completely delusional.

Wow did not get lucky.  WoW is a quality product, and people are willing to pay extra for quality products.  That is one of the cornerstones of supply and demand.

Last edited by mysticjbyrd: 7/22/2013 4:23:49 AM

I agree only until say WotLK came along. The game is still good, probably good enough to keep paying for, but ever since Activirus came into the picture, the game and every other game they produced since then have been getting to be lower and lower quality. The more they mess with stuff, the crappier the games get and attempt to use methods to make money instead of making a good game. It's no different than giving people sugar pills. You tell them it is good for this and that, but in actuality, it's just an illusion. The only thing that wasn't really fucked up since they joined was WoL. HotS I just don't like. If it's TvT, the battle outcome is solely based on whoever makes the most Hell Bats and Tanks with a mix of Mines. ZvZ rarely goes away from Muta battles and so on. One of the biggest issues I have with it is that the Hell Bats can melt roaches. They out DPS the roaches and are able to be healed. The hell?

Hellbats were nerfed, drops with them are much rarer, Bio is still good and mech can kill bio now if it's played well. Mines aren't even used that much in TvT because their attacks are too random. You can get the 'old' hellbats back if you get blue flame but it's rare unless you're going mech.

Zerg really does come down to muta vs muta like every single time though.

The damage was nerfed against light units, which stops the drops, but Roaches aren't considered light and still get completely demolished.

It's called micro. Hellbats are slow and have shit range. =p

Quote from mysticjbyrd »

Quote from Kai »

This is a good read.

http://www.gameskinny.com/5su9f/rationalizing-ffxiv-a-realm-reborns-subscription-model

I completely disagree with that.  Why is Subscription model foolish?  What is this based on?  MMOs that failed to sustain this model?  Ha, that is an obviously flawed view.  Those games likely made way more money by launching with a sub model, than if they hadn't.  They didn't endure, because they were flawed.  I can assure you it ha nothing to do with the fact it cost pennies an hour to play.

WoW is not WoW!  WoW is merely a good game, and it demonstrates what a MMO is capable of in this market.  I am a  little sick and tired of these people on the internet pretending that Blizzard got lucky with WoW.  These people are completely delusional.

Wow did not get lucky.  WoW is a quality product, and people are willing to pay extra for quality products.  That is one of the cornerstones of supply and demand.

What i linked says ecxatly that, dunno what you are disagreeing with. It doesnt say WoW is lucky nor it says sub model is foolish.

Besides, what the guy said make sense, and anyway it just gives a pov as why some sub mmos ended up as F2P.

• To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes