Can Anyone Clear This Up?

So, I've been reading this FANTASTIC article: http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/05/22/wildstars-jeremy-gaffney-on-the-settler-path/

and I found one part to be unclear...  "If player's don't maintain a structure, it will eventually decay. Some things are longer-lasting than others. We want lots of players to experience building stuff up and maintaining it. It's probably more fun to kick it off than it is to maintain something already built. The other part of that is if you are the only Settler around, you'll get a lot of path XP by running around and building everything by yourself, but you'll get less XP from the social tools like the campfires Settlers lay down to give players bonuses. It's kind of a balancing act to make sure people have a great experience depending on the conditions of the zone." he talks about buildings and such and in the article EARLIER he talks about improving towns with cool stuff. But I'm wondering... can I build these things on MY OWN... or are these things I'm building only allowed in town? After seeing the "Paths" video, I'm pretty sure I can build anywhere, after seeing that player built town but I mean, even with the video it can be confusing. Videos sometimes mislead, though Wildstar seems to be quite honest with their players. So, anyone know the answer to my question? Can I build my own custom town anywhere? (It sounds like yes but...) Also, so this thread isn't a waste of forum space. Are you excited for the Settler path? Is it your first choice? If not, what path is?

Last edited by Schatzy: 6/13/2013 5:07:46 AM

In the wise words of Arthas, "PURGE!"

Quote from Schatzy »

So, I've been reading this FANTASTIC article: http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/05/22/wildstars-jeremy-gaffney-on-the-settler-path/

and I found one part to be unclear...  "If player's don't maintain a structure, it will eventually decay. Some things are longer-lasting than others. We want lots of players to experience building stuff up and maintaining it. It's probably more fun to kick it off than it is to maintain something already built. The other part of that is if you are the only Settler around, you'll get a lot of path XP by running around and building everything by yourself, but you'll get less XP from the social tools like the campfires Settlers lay down to give players bonuses. It's kind of a balancing act to make sure people have a great experience depending on the conditions of the zone." he talks about buildings and such and in the article EARLIER he talks about improving towns with cool stuff. But I'm wondering... can I build these things on MY OWN... or are these things I'm building only allowed in town? After seeing the "Paths" video, I'm pretty sure I can build anywhere, after seeing that player built town but I mean, even with the video it can be confusing. Videos sometimes mislead, though Wildstar seems to be quite honest with their players. So, anyone know the answer to my question? Can I build my own custom town anywhere? (It sounds like yes but...) Also, so this thread isn't a waste of forum space. Are you excited for the Settler path? Is it your first choice? If not, what path is?

I think it's more allong the path of rebuilding towns from ruins and maintaining them.

Housing isn't in the open world so why would city building be.

Retired Raider
           untill a game arrives
                       that is worthy of my awesomeness

I have to agree with Djild ... if every settler could make towns/structures in the open world... the world would fill up with new towns in no time flat.

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid"

Quote from Schatzy »

There was still yet a spark in interest in me thanks to this class. I have slowly lost hype to this game learning how easy it is. The game is so easy, they dont want you to build anywhere, there are no monsters strong/persistant enough in the open world to kill you and your structure

please see my post and dump your suggestions on it http://www.wildstarforums.com/forums/wildstar-discussions/general-discussion/35899-im-very-sad-and-dissapointed-at-wildstar

Last edited by OutWorldSource5: 6/13/2013 7:07:49 AM

There was still yet a spark in interest in me thanks to this class. I have slowly lost hype to this game learning how easy it is. The game is so easy, they dont want you to build anywhere, there are no monsters strong/persistant enough in the open world to kill you and your structure

Aaaww.. and there you go again... posting utter crap.
    Shame, i had hopes you would continue after your last post.. which was decent...parts of it.

Anyway, keep on trollin! :P

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid"

Quote from Guarrand »

Shame, i had hopes you would continue after your last post.. which was decent...parts of it.

How is this trolling? Let me refresh you on what a Troll is, better yet, let the internet do it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

No, its true, and i thought about this too after i heard a bit more about the settler and how the buildings were more like missions. So instead of being what people think it is, a path that can turn wilderness into a random bar, its just another cookie cutter crafting system

Last edited by OutWorldSource5: 6/13/2013 7:18:19 AM

Not to go into semantics or anything... but your link!? ...

"Troll" : is someone who posts inflammatory,extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion. The noun troll may also refer to the provocative message itself, as in: "That was an excellent troll you posted."

Call me crazy, but this is EXACTLY what you are doing! :P
    Trying to force emotional responses from the people who are excited about Wildstar by posting made up "facts" and posting it as the truth.

Even if everything you say is true and the game turns out to be utter crap filled with my little ponies and powerpuff girl levels of gaming... it doesn't make it true YET... nothing you say is fact.. only in your head.
    Nobody is claiming you can't be sceptical, but atleast TRY to keep an open mind and formulate your post different and stop posting your opinions as facts... because they arent facts....

Last edited by Guarrand: 6/13/2013 7:32:47 AM

»

Quote from Guarrand »

There was still yet a spark in interest in me thanks to this class. I have slowly lost hype to this game learning how easy it is. The game is so easy, they dont want you to build anywhere, there are no monsters strong/persistant enough in the open world to kill you and your structure

How is this trolling? Let me refresh you on what a Troll is, better yet, let the internet do it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

No, its true, and i thought about this too after i heard a bit more about the settler and how the buildings were more like missions. So instead of being what people think it is, a path that can turn wilderness into a random bar, its just another cookie cutter crafting system

You're trolling dude, you know you're trolling, we know you're trolling.

Why? because you're talking out your ass.  You have no clue about any of what you just said.  Just what you THINK you've extrapolated from a gameplay video or two. 

Now on to the actual topic.

Anyway settler sounds cool, and I have some of the same questions.  As pointed out I'd think player built towns would get out of hand.  It would be an amazing feature but I can understand why it wouldn't necessarily be an open world kind of thing.  UNLESS it ties into multiple settlers building things where perhaps a settler has a limit on how many building they can  build and maintain.  So perhaps multiple settlers might be required to build a whole town which might limit it somewhat in the open world. Might make sense I mean both exiles and dominion are seeking to colonize the planet.

It'll be interesting to find out.  Part of me hopes they do something like that the other parts hope that Nexus won't be littered with a multitude of random buildings all over the landscape.

Ferret Force

Quote from Guarrand »

"Troll" : is someone who posts inflammatory,extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion. The noun troll may also refer to the provocative message itself, as in: "That was an excellent troll you posted."

Trying to force emotional responses from the people who are excited about Wildstar by posting made up "facts" and posting it as the truth.

And not even a good troll.

Good trolls are much harder to detect.  I knew he was a troll in his original thread.

No, actually I think his ilk are called "attention whores".

Last edited by Chuckles2035: 6/13/2013 7:37:20 AM

Ferret Force

Neh, in my mind attention whores are suntanned blond upstuck girls in bikinis making selfies (is that a word) in 100's of different poses :D
    Let me keep that image please :)

Quote from Guarrand »

Neh, in my mind attention whores are suntanned blond upstuck girls in bikinis making selfies (is that a word) in 100's of different poses :D
    Let me keep that image please :)

LoL

Agreed I like your image better as well.

Ferret Force

Quote from Guarrand »

Even if everything you say is true and the game turns out to be utter crap filled with my little ponies and powerpuff girl levels of gaming... it doesn't make it true YET... nothing you say is fact.. only in your head.
    Nobody is claiming you can't be sceptical, but atleast TRY to keep an open mind and formulate your post different and stop posting your opinions as facts... because they arent facts....

Everything i have stated is on-topic, if you had an emotional response its good to know you are not a robot. After seeing a few of your previous responses though i can honestly say you are definitely a troll 

After seeing a few of your previous responses though i can honestly say you are definitely a troll

Well, at least you are honest :D

Golden rule:

Don't feel a troll or it'll grow bigger, stronger becomes more confident and will slowly get out of control!

Retired Raider
           untill a game arrives
                       that is worthy of my awesomeness

palm

Wildstar

Yeah, after his original topic where it became obvious that he was just hatin' for the sake of hatin', I used that nifty little "Ignore User" feature and now his posts don't even display for me (so much nicer).

I recommend you all do the same... at the very least it removes the temptation to feed the troll.

Sorry, I more said this in a bad way.

What I meant by "Open World building" was that you can build in set areas and expand already made towns further.

But one thing about open-world that gets me excited is in the "DevSpeak: Paths" video, it shows a town and points to all of them with arrows and says they're playermade. That's one of the things I've been wondering. But it MIGHT be a set area. I know there will be SOME level of Sandbox because they said they want you to leave your mark on the world.

UNLESS it ties into multiple settlers building things where perhaps a settler has a limit on how many building they can  build and maintain.  So perhaps multiple settlers might be required to build a whole town which might limit it somewhat in the open world. Might make sense I mean both exiles and dominion are seeking to colonize the planet.

^ Also what I was thinking. ^

Last edited by Schatzy: 6/13/2013 2:18:03 PM

In the wise words of Arthas, "PURGE!"

Dude, even if you are not a troll, for fuck sakes, you already created your topic, why on hell are you derailing other threads?

You already said what you think, thats it dude, stop trolling the forums, write letters to carbine or something.

I've read your own thread before and I don't know how your experience in online games in the past 6 years has gone to.

First: You claim the game is easy when you have no experience in it yourself. I hope you understand that most demonstrations of the game content up till now are not from a normal player perspective. The game starts with a level of difficulty that they first want to try and then they play around with it. Then the characters chosen for presentations are premade GAMEMASTER characters which usually have overtuned characteristics of the content. It's normal since they don't wish to show how challenging the game is but the graphics, basic combat mechanics, and some other GRAPHIC content.

Second: High difficulty levels in Western countries has NEVER been successful. Aion and Tera were over tuned for the preferences of western players and that's why they decayed. I'm sure the Wildstar crew want a game that everyone can enjoy with a learning curve and different difficulty levels.

Third: We have seen SO LITTLE information about the settler it's hard to get a decent opinion. It will obviously involve questing in some way... What we do know is that we create small changes in the environment. Things like vendors, campfires. We don't exactly know for sure how vast is the variety of structures we can create but I'm definitely attracted to the idea of the Settler.

We asians don't finish single player

We break multiplayer

Quote from Arhsum »

Second: High difficulty levels in Western countries has NEVER been successful. Aion and Tera were over tuned for the preferences of western players and that's why they decayed. I'm sure the Wildstar crew want a game that everyone can enjoy with a learning curve and different difficulty levels.

You just used two titles that i never really looked into because they were essentially the definition of a WoW clone. I never even touched Tera after i found out how perverted it was. Aeon never sparked my interest becouse i saw the gameplay videos before launch. Saved me a lot of trouble.  

Also, Tera was only hard at tip the mountain, from what i hear from people who are crafting the legendary set pieces or something. Basically killing the same monsters 1000 times to get something. Thats not really hard, its just time consuming. If Wildstar is like either of those games then i wont touch it either. 

Last edited by OutWorldSource5: 6/13/2013 9:39:26 PM
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes