What are the basics of a good MMO according to you?

A good deal of soloable content.  I enjoy doing group missions, pvp or whatever, but I don't want to be stuck doing nothing when i can't find people to group with.  I'd like to be able to advance my character even during off hours, or when I only have an hour to play.  I hope crafting isn't mandatory, never much cared for it in FFXI or FFXIV, I have a real job, I don't need a virtual one :)  Hopefully not a brutal economy where making money is a terrible grind, not too easy either.

Other than that, hubs to get people out of their houses and be social.

Last edited by Dayvid: 6/12/2013 3:29:44 PM

Quote from Dayvid »

A good deal of soloable content.  I enjoy doing group missions, pvp or whatever, but I don't want to be stuck doing nothing when i can't find people to group with.  I'd like to be able to advance my character even during off hours, or when I only have an hour to play.  I hope crafting isn't mandatory, never much cared for it in FFXI or FFXIV, I have a real job, I don't need a virtual one :)  Hopefully not a brutal economy where making money is a terrible grind, not too easy either.

Other than that, hubs to get people out of their houses and be social.

I have to strongly disagree Dayvid.

You're asking for vanilla, but upon receiving vanilla, you complain it's too bland.

You want the game to hand you an easy experience, but you're asking for it to be challenging. You want group play, but also ask for solo content and offline progression. You want an easy economy, but not flooded, right? You're contradicting yourself and I feel this is why a lot of gamers are upset about the recent crop of games. Developers create games to market to what the masses (people just like you) think they want, and then the consumers are upset because it's all too easy and uninteresting.

Don't ask for cake if you're tired of sweets.

Sorry if that came off as rude or ranting.

Some people should probably keep in mind that games can't do everything at once. There will be games that cater to solo playing, and others that cater to people working in groups. There will be games that cater to a certain playing style, and others that cater to another. You can't demand things from a game and get upset when the developers don't listen. It's good to have a game where the developers listen to the players and tweak things accordingly if they see it benefits the game and its players, but it's when they try to satisfy everyone that makes things start to turn bad.

That's exactly what happened to WoW. Some people wanted pandas, they got a full expansion of them. Some people wanted easier content and ways to make it so that they can avoid doing work to achieve goals, and they got exactly that. Now I'm sad to say I've recently quit for that reason. 

Last edited by FELinferno: 6/12/2013 9:00:30 PM

Babbity won't make me a fancy signature banner.

The Pandas were Canonical since Warcraft 3. It wasn't something they came up with on the fly to cash in on Kung Fu Panda or something similar. :P

-Rachel-

Quote from Steampunkette »

The Pandas were Canonical since Warcraft 3. It wasn't something they came up with on the fly to cash in on Kung Fu Panda or something similar. :P

-Rachel-

I know, but they were more of a silly race than a serious one. I have no problem with them in WoW (they're super cute), but I don't really like the expansion they brought with them. The theme seemed to drift off too far from WoW-ness, and all the dailies made it a chore. I like a lot of the stuff in the expansion in general, but in the end I just found it too easy to play without any emotional contact with other players.

Heh. I totally get some of that, at least.

Though with 5.3 and 5.4 on the way: It's all about killing Garrosh and probably Y'ssarj, another Elder God.

-Rachel-

Heh. I totally get some of that, at least.

Though with 5.3 and 5.4 on the way: It's all about killing Garrosh and probably Y'ssarj, another Elder God.

-Rachel-

I am totally up for killing Garrosh. What a lame leader.

It's also COMPLETELY up in the air as to who will step up. Vol'jin has made motions to become leader, but so has Lor'themar Theron, wh oWAS in Peace talks with King Wrynn before the shit hit the fan in Dalaran about leaving the Horde and rejoining the Alliance. And it's not been shown whether or not Galiwixx is even interested in continuing being stepped on by the Orcs. Sylvanas is pissed about Garrosh trying to get ALL of the Forsaken killed and it's hinted she might be thinking of pulling out of the Horde altogether. And of course Bloodhoof is upset about his Father's death, and with Thrall not willing to return to Warchief the Tauren don't feel quite so bound to the Horde.

On the other side the Alliance is getting closer than ever thanks to Anduin and Varian's actions in and out of Pandaria. The Black Iron Dwarves even got the Bronzebeards and Wildhammer to both trust them. And the Night Elves nearly got a lot of their people killed, but Wrynn stopped them and protected them when the time came. 

5.4 is going to be all kinds of political strife and stuff. Garrosh using the Kor'Kron as SS officers, exterminating the "Lesser" Horde races. Did I mention Zaela of the Dragonmaw Clan is giving the Kor'Kron their drakes to fly on and the massive Troll Army moving out? The Darkspear Rebellion is just plain awe inspiring to see.

-Rachel-

Please ... don't make this another WoW topic... please!.
    Let's all agree that WoW Vanilla/TBC was fawking awesome and WoW present day is complete crap and only fun for kiddies that wanna run around in a fluffy world with epic lewt dropping from the sky.

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid"

TBC wasn't that great.... I'm just saying, it could've been better....

I would still be playing, had I not exhausted myself after 5 years. But there's a time to move on from everything, and that was it for me. I would prob still enjoy playing even now if I got back into it, but I don't intend to.

That being said. I'm definitely looking forward to Wildstar and some of (the list is massive) stuff they have said they will be doing sounds great. I'm still in the boat of "I hope they're not biting off more than they can chew" but so far it all seems to be looking peachy. Ohhhh, speaking of which... I would like to see some rescue missions that are more than just busting through mobs, I love puzzles and having to think of how to get to an objective. saving a damsel in distress just seems like the natural objective we should have =P

(Any game you play for 5 years is good... just saying :) )

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid"

this is something i would love to see but have not come across yet. Scaling Dungeons.

Example: im by myself and want to see the story line of one dungeon i walk in and do it.

Now then do i get good yes but only as good as basic quest gear why cause the dungeon was scaled down. if i had gone in with lets say 20 people the gear would be completely different stat wise, because the content at that point would have to have been bulked up and just overall harder. now will this happen in Wildstar no because its not designed around it, and that system whould require an mmo to be built around that style.

Oh a little off topic watched some new gameplay and gotta say i was blown away.

Quote from Guarrand »

Please ... don't make this another WoW topic... please!.
    Let's all agree that WoW Vanilla/TBC was fawking awesome and WoW present day is complete crap and only fun for kiddies that wanna run around in a fluffy world with epic lewt dropping from the sky.

how about we all agree that opinions are just that, opinions. WoW love/hate commentaries are really annoying. Talking about a game in such biased and silly way just make any serious person "biased" about  your future posts.

Anyway, the basics of a good MMO is delivering what you are telling people, and bring a finished and polished product. I expect to play what the company is selling me via trailers, interviews, FAQs, etc. And, really, no MMO to this day has lived to the promises.

In term of features, i would like:

-content not to be trivial;

-really hard, merciless and brutal pve/contested zone(s), only fit for seasoned players (even extra punishiment for dieing in those zones);

-focus on action oriented gameplay, and minimal "lock on" skills;

-minimal, tactical CC usage;

-great and complex skill set.

EXTRA punishment for dying? I wouldn't mind if it was something that happens when fighting an open world boss, so you can't just res and run back to kill it. The World Dragons Mark was awesome in WoW, made you more careful.

i meant as part of the extra hard zones i mentioned, it can even be loss of xp, gear breaking, dont know.

And i mean these zone as "extras". You have your standard zones/maps (90%), and these brutal zone/maps (10%), just that extra hard s*** for players that enjoy it. Of course it would need some sort of monster power insane scaling, to avoid players from zerging down the entire zone.

i would also like some maps to be full contested zones, where the only player you cant attack are the ones in your group/guild.

And promote some guild rivalry, even of the same faction.

Last edited by Kai: 6/13/2013 5:17:42 PM

I think extra hard zone should be for max levels then, especially if you have to compete with your OWN faction too.

yeah,  lvl cap.

Talking about level caps...

1 thing i absolutely HATE in some MMO's now is that they automatically raise your level to 19/29/39/49 etc.. in PVP area's."We want everyone to be equal".
    Well, maybe you like that, mister developer, but i dont.
    It rips away the rewarding feeling it gives as a lvl 11 when i kill a lvl 18. It destroys the motivation to level at all if you are a PVP-focussed player.
    It's just one other thing they build in because people were crying that they died to much in PVP.

It may kill the accomplishment of a level 11 beating a level 19... but it also kills a lot of the frustration of level 11s being mercilessly mass-murdered by level 18s over and over and over and over again because of the functional differences in level. Of course you could still feel good about beating someone higher level than you based on your lack of powers, skill points, stat boosts, and other level-based mechanics that aren't normalized by level normalization...

Games work by being challenging. But in order to be challenging there needs to be certain balances. Otherwise it's only challenging to the level 11s. And by challenging I mean "Near to Impossible". While the 18s can just farm the lowbies all day.

-Rachel-

It may kill the accomplishment of a level 11 beating a level 19... but it also kills a lot of the frustration of level 11s being mercilessly mass-murdered by level 18s over and over and over and over again because of the functional differences in level. Of course you could still feel good about beating someone higher level than you based on your lack of powers, skill points, stat boosts, and other level-based mechanics that aren't normalized by level normalization...

Games work by being challenging. But in order to be challenging there needs to be certain balances. Otherwise it's only challenging to the level 11s. And by challenging I mean "Near to Impossible". While the 18s can just farm the lowbies all day.

-Rachel-

But it just defeats the whole purpose of levelling.
    Its not logical to be boosted to lvl 19 ... its just the easy way out imho.
    They should make matchmaking balanced, not just bump everyone to the same level.

• To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes